My breakfast candy...

Our mango tree has been blessing us with about one ripe mango a week since July. Why is it still producing fruit four months after it started? I have no idea. It's not like we've had that many mangoes to begin with, maybe 30 in all (the tree is just 5 years old). But we have been enjoying every single one (okay, we shared a few, but not many).

This afternoon I picked about 7 of them as they seem to be ripening more rapidly now. I am very curious to see if the tree will bloom again in February like it did this year. I know Sig has big plans for pruning it... I am dead-set against it. These mangoes have been amazing.

our home grown mangoes
Where is the best place to get mangoes? I would go to a farmers market and carefully sniff your way through them til you find some that smell mango-ey. That's my rule of thumb with most fruit - if it doesn't smell like the fruit should smell, why bother? Yee's Mangoes on South Kihei Road (just a little North of Longs) has amazing mangoes - and you will pay accordingly, but they are the best.

How to cut a mango? I wrote about that a few months ago - check it out (with pictures). It's super easy!

Labels: , , ,