Baby gecko

The other day we were enjoying the pool at our Palms at Wailea condo (the condo was between guests). As we were cooling off in the pool, I saw a little gecko swimming next to me. I'm pretty sure geckos don't belong in pools, in fact, I didn't know they could swim. I scooped him up and the kids were pretty excited to hold him. In fact, he didn't seem to mind, until one of the kids pretended to kiss him. He jumped to safety in one of the bushes closeby. Ha!

what a cutie!
I still vividly remember my first experience with geckos. Our eldest child was just a baby, sleeping in a playpen at the rental condo, when I saw a gecko in the room. I tried to shoo it out of the room, having visions of the gecko walking on our baby. Sig just laughed at me. He also laughed at me when I screamed because a cockroach has surprised me (I really dislike them).

But seriously, you do not need to be afraid of geckos. Geckos are one of nature's methods of pest control. They do not hurt humans, but like to eat all those insects and bugs we don't like. In fact, in Hawai'i they are considered to bring good luck. So if you see a gecko, relax. He's eating those annoying bugs. When he doesn't find any, he will move on to 'greener pastures'.

Labels: , ,