How does a Hurricane get its name?

I had heard there are lists for naming hurricanes, so after having Iselle and Julio 'visit' Hawaii in August, I wondered why our current hurricane-in-waiting Ana was starting with letter A again.... Have there been that many hurricanes in the Pacific that we're starting at A again?

Am I the only one wondering this at 3 AM? I wish I were sleeping.

I am obviously not an expert, but after looking around on the internet, I've found there are two lists. Iselle and Julio are on the Eastern North Pacific hurricane name list for 2014. 

Hurricane Iselle's Hawaii visit in August 2014 -
her name was on the Eastern North Pacific hurricane list
Ana is on the Central North Pacific hurricane list. So, it appears this hurricane's name starts at A again because of where it is formed.

Hurricane Ana is on the Central North Pacific hurricane list
Looking for more information - check out this website on storm naming by the World Meteorological Organization.

Labels: