Ouch

It finally happened. In the past few years our family has enjoyed many early evening walks. I love these walks, walking off our dinner, the kids burning off energy before going to bed. Watching the stars and the moon... Maui is a great place to see the stars - because we don't have much light pollution. However, this is also a nice way of saying - it's really dark here at night. I suspect it's because power is really expensive on Maui and the County can't afford to have more street lights on.

Regardless, on my evening walks I have tripped on occasion, mistakenly stepping off the side walk etc - and some of that was me being distracted, but also a lack of street lighting.

On Friday night it finally happened - I was stepping off the curb to cross the road to my car. I didn't realize there was a storm drain there, which meant the step off the curb was a little further down. I tripped, I twisted my ankle and fell. Ouch. I have never twisted my ankle that badly before. Thankfully my friend was along. She packed the kids into the car, helped me get into the car and drove my car home.

Thankfully yesterday's xrays show no fractures. I came home from the doctor with a brace and crutches. I am happy to report that I am able to put a little weight on my foot this morning, though I am trying to take it easy and not overdo it.

What's the moral of this story? Be careful out there. Use a flashlight when walking at night.

If you do need medical care while on vacation - there are two clinics in Kihei that are open late(r) and on weekends: Kihei Wailea Medical Center in the Safeway shopping center and Urgent Care Maui across from Times Supermarket. Maui Memorial Medical Center is the closest hospital in Kahului.

Labels: , ,