Fresh ahi avocado poke

A few weeks ago our neighbor friends served me my very first poke. Poke? Yes, raw marinated fish... Hawaiian style.

I must confess, the smell of poke at the grocery stores turns me off. I purposefully avoid Foodland's meat section and take a deep breath before crossing in front of the seafood section at Safeway. It's a bit overwhelming.

However, I've been told that Foodland in Kihei has some of the freshest fish in Kihei (besides Eskimo Candy). So when our neighbors served us fresh ahi (tuna) avocado poke and encouraged me to give it a try, well, it seemed rude to refuse. It's not the most appetizing food I've ever seen, but looks can be deceiving and I'm glad I gave it a try! My taste buds popped and I am hooked! It's a bit spicy, tastes absolutely wonderful. In fact, I had a real craving for it this afternoon and made a Foodland poke run for some more...

Foodland's fresh ahi avocado poke

Labels: ,