The grade 4 classes at our elementary school were treated to a field trip aboard the Atlantis Submarine last week!
My son LOVED the adventure. The highlights of the tour were:
- feeling the change in altitude when sinking to a depth of 116 ft below sea level
- seeing the spotted eagle ray in nature (as opposed to the aquarium)
- checking out the 'shipwreck' (a boat anchored to the ocean floor in 1995 to create an artificial reef)
- learning how things look with diminished light when you are so far under the surface (did you know the edges of your teeth look orange?)
- seeing goat fish and learning about corral
- watching the Atlantis' tug boat
For him, the best part was experiencing the submarine shooting out from the water, it was a huge thrill.
|imaginations run wild when you get to see an old sunken ship!|
The Atlantis Submarine is anchored off-shore at Lahaina Harbor. You take a shuttle-boat from dock and board the submarine using a ramp.
Labels: kids, Lahaina, Maui to-do