First Entry!

Truthfully, I'm intimidated! I've been reading well-written blogs (okay, and some not-so-well-written blogs) for years now.... and here I am, writing my first blog! About life and things to do on Maui! I hope you enjoy it!

Yesterday was the first day back to school! Our family likes to celebrate all events, big and small, and our favorite way to celebrate is to buy tasty malasadas!

Malasadas are Hawaiian donuts, made fresh while you wait! According to Wikipedia, it was Portuguese labourers who introduced them to Hawaii in the 1870s. We buy them at the Homemaid Cafe in Azeka Shopping Center (South Kihei Road in Kihei). They do only make (and sell) them before 10am, and yes, every now and then they run out before 10, so if you can, get there early! Homemaid Cafe serves two versions - plain sprinkled with sugar or custard-filled. And they are delicious! My favorite are the custard-filled! Definitely plan to get more than one per person!


a box of delicious Hawaiian goodness - five 'plain with sugar' malasadas at the top, five 'custard-filled' on the bottom.

Labels: